Lyft raises a middle finger to gov’t regulation, will leave California over gig economy killer AB5 [Updated]
It’s happening people. Lyft is leaving California after the idiotic Democrats passed a law that would force them to treat their drivers as if they were 9-5 employees with all the benefits.
#NEW Ride share giant @lyft is suspending operations in California as of 11:59pm PT tonight as the state's new law requiring the company to reclassify drivers as employees instead of independent contractors goes into effect at midnight.
— Greta Wall (@GretaLWall) August 20, 2020
Now THAT is an honest assessment of what happened.
THIS IS NOT:
A California judge has ordered Uber and Lyft to treat drivers as employees; the companies say they'll leave the state rather than comply. https://t.co/52J8LNlFkK
— WIRED (@WIRED) August 20, 2020
That it BS. The judge made that decision based on crap legislation that the dumbass Democrat politicians that passed AB5, including their pendeja queen state senator Lorena Sanchez. I’ve been writing about this for a while because the law is so stupid and because it ended up screwing over tons of independent contractors in California. And if you think this is just a California problem, you’re wrong. Democrats are planning to institute this all over America if Joe Biden wins.
Joe Biden and the Democrats have some explaining to do.
— Andrew Clark (@AndrewHClark) August 20, 2020
SO now the big question is whether Uber will follow suit. I really hope they do. If this is the kind of crap Democrats want to pull then I want to see Californians rise up against the chaos they are instituting. And if they are able to defeat it in California it’ll be much tougher to impose everywhere else…
UPDATE: A judge ordered that Uber and Lyft will have more time to figure out what they want to do about AB5, so they can both stay operating for the time being.
Here are some of my previous posts if you want to catch up on the issue:
- Freelance job-killing AB5 supporters praised company for caving to their demands – now it’s going out of business
- John Stossell obliterates AB5, the freelance-killing ‘gig economy law,’ in fantastic new video
- AB5 author Lorena Gonzalez gets a smackdown by a small business owner and exposes her elitism
- AB5 author Sen. Lorena Gonzalez says jobs lost were not real jobs
- More about the bill from the AB5 Facts website
- A petition against AB5 gets 170,000 signatures from just one industry
- Iconic writer Neil Gaiman backs anti-AB5 movement
- AB5 author Lorena Gonzalez LIES about protesters at her rally
- Great tweets from handsome blogger Soopermexican against Ab5